The soul of these sandwiches are the toppings used for each of them. For that reason I will give you the recipes to create this and you can use them for any other meal or sandwich you would like to enjoy.
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup of black olives
½ cup of green olives
1 teaspoon of peeled garlic
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
A pinch of cayenne
Place all the ingredients in a food processor but just use the pulse mode. We don’t want a complete paste as a tapenade, we want to feel some texture.
If you have good knife skills, simply chop everything small dice and add the oil and cayenne at the end.
Place in a container and keep refrigerated.
1 big eggplant sliced into “steaks”
1 table spoon of coarse salt
Water 2 cups
White Vinegar 1 cup
Canola oil (to need)
2 sliced garlic cloves
Chilli flakes 1 tea spoon
1 half litre container (can be a jar or a plastic container)
1. Boil the water and the vinegar with the coarse salt.
2. When the water is boiling add the sliced eggplants and let them boil for around 4/5 minutes. Over-cooking will cause the eggplants to loose the desired consistency.
4. Retire the eggplants from the water and set aside to dry.
5. In a jar or container, place a bit of the oil, peppercorn, chilli flakes and garlic and lay one eggplant steak as a base. Repeat this process until the jar is full, one eggplant steak, oil, leaves, garlic and chilli flakes, more oil, etc.
6. When your jar is full, let it rest for 3 days in the fridge and your eggplants are ready to eat.
2 red bell peppers
2 green peppers
1 white onion
1 red onion
4 peeled garlic cloves
2 cups of canola oil
1 cup of white vinegar (You can use any type of vinegar here. I choose white to retain the colour of the sauce)
1. Chop everything and put it in a bowl
2. Add the salt and the pepper and mix thoroughly
3. Add the oil and vinegar and stir
The salsa criolla is a cold sauce and you don’t need to cook the ingredients.
The flavours will develop more after a few days but also tastes great right away. You may also add some herbs to give some direction, thyme is my favourite.
1. You can cook your sausages as you wish. Personally, grilling is always the best option but also can be in a pan with low heat or an oven at 400°F for 15 minutes.
2. For the spread you can use any regular condiments. I love to use an olive oil based mayo.
3. Then place a leaf of lettuce and top one with chopped pickled eggplants, another one with the tapenade and the last with the salsa criolla as shown in the photo.